Monday, September 26, 2011

The Race

My kids are competitive swimmers, and a common racing mistake is looking around.  Unfortunately, in the water the position of the head controls the position body.  Looking around throws the swimmer's technique off, which could disqualify them, but ultimately it slows them down.  We remind the kids all the swimmers will end in the same place, so focus on their swim, their lane, their time.... this is their best.  

I think I could use a lesson from the swimmer.  Looking over Romans 14,15, "You, then, why do you judge your brother?  Or why do you look down on your brother?  For we will all stand before God's judgement seat... So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God."  Looking down at my sister's convictions slows my calling for the Lord and the results are disunity for the body.  The stronger then has the greater responsibility to bear with the weaker, building her up with edifying words and deeds.  

"To the weak I became weak, to win the weak.  I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.  I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.  Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.....  Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly..... No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."  1 Cor 8, 9

No comments:

Post a Comment